Monday, March 16, 2015

An error occurred with the boot selection, verify media is present and retry

During re-deployment on a HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G3 tablet, the following error message was shown: "An error occurred with the boot selection, verify media is present and retry". Because of that no WinPE is loaded at all, and deployment is not possible. Lucky me the solution was not that hard. Let's have a look at the solution:

Boot your laptop and press F10.
Select [System Configuration]
Select [Boot Options]
Scroll down to [SecureBoot Configutation]
Disable BIOS Secure Boot

Change BIOS Boot Mode to UEFI Hybrid or Legacy Mode
Save and exit
Now boot and press [F12] and PXEboot works


Hope it helps!

Source: HP EliteBook Revolve 810 Tablet - PXE Boot Failure

Update: An ever better solution is as follows:
-Change BIOS to UEFI Native and SecureBoot
-Remove options 060, 066 and 067 from DHCP settings
-Add IP-Helper which is pointing to the WDS and DHCP server


Besides of that the following information:
Try to get rid of DHCP options and use IPhelpers instead. Also make sure that you are using a boot images that matches the architecture of the OS to be deployed. (Torsten)
UEFI is a new beast that has issues with DHCP scope options. UEFI is *very* different than traditional BIOS. (Jason)


Source: UEFI PXE BOOT ERROR

6 comments:

  1. Had a similar issue on HP Elitebook Revolve 810 G2. I had updated the BIOS from from Legacy to UEFI using MBR2GPT.EXE on Windows 10 - 1703 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

    For some reason, my resolution was the opposite. I already had Secure Boot disabled and it wasn't detecting PXE boot. Enabled it and then it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noticed this was an older post, but has seen recent activity so wanted to add my to bits for others who also experience this.
    In my case I need to have UEFI enabled with Secure boot due to the security requirements for my Win10 image. I found that simply updating the BIOS (which I plan to do anyways to account for the Intel Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities) and this resolve my PXE issue. I was then able to successfully PXE and image the workstation.
    This was on an HP ProBook 640 G1.
    If you haven't found it yet, HP has a list of all the latest BIOS updates for all models affected by this vulnerability. I'm am planning on applying the BIOS update as part of the SCCM Task Sequence for each model in my environment.
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, these observations helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://gsmtishatelecom.blogspot.com/2019/02/cm2-boot-error-solution-2019-all-in-one.html

    ReplyDelete